Well Clean Up

The standard method used to clean a well is 'shocking'. In theory, this process is very simple. Dump bleach in the well to kill the bacteria. 

The actual procedure is very time consuming, and needs to be done in a systematic way by trained professionals. For this to be successful, the entire system must be cleaned simultaneously to avoid recontamination.

If bacteria is found in a well it is often caused by damaged casings or seals, casing that terminates too close to ground level, improperly installed pitless adapters or a shallow bedrock fracture. This allows for the contamination by decayed material, animal waste or other organic materials.

We start the shocking process by opening the well, and pouring a gallon of bleach into the system. Once the bleach is in the well, it needs to be pumped throughout the entire system. We open the hose bib, and each tap individually to ensure there is enough bleach in the system. Once bleach is detected in each fixture, we will attach a hose and spray down the inside of the well to ensure the bleach coats the entire system, not just the area below the current water line. Once this is finished, the well must sit overnight. 

If you are planning to have your well cleaned, you must ensure that you have bottled water on hand for drinking, cooking, and cleaning. 

After leaving the bleach to work for at least 8 hours, it must be flushed out. This can be a multi-day process. First we hook up a hose and pump all of the chlorinated water out of the well. We continuously pump water in the well until the water runs clear, and the smell of the bleach is no longer present. Then, we must open each fixture individually to ensure that all of the bleach is out of the system.